Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The American's Creed



I never thought I'd be so glad to hear the American's Creed. I'm proud to be an American, but it isn't for that reason. The other day, while starting James' history lessons, we came to the point that we were to start learning the American's Creed. Although James would have done this last year in Mrs. Hady's class, remember, he just went through major brain surgery this last summer where he lost almost all short-term memory. On top of that, James has always had trouble memorizing...an after effect of hydrocephalus (extra fluid in his brain that caused pressure) when he was first diagnosed.

So, in light of all of this, I wondered how hard it would be to get this memorized this year. The first day, I said, "James, let's read the American's Creed." He said, "I can say it to you." And proceeded to say, by memory, the entire thing - almost word perfect.

I was thankful to hear the American's Creed that day. Not because I am thankful to be an American (which I am), but because I am thankful that God has given me my James back.

"O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." Psalm 34:8

No comments: