Saturday, May 17, 2008

Appointment with Dr. Wisoff



We went to South Bend, Indiana the night before and were treated like royalty by our friend, Martha Onkka. She put us up overnight so that we could be close to the airport for a 7:30 departure the next morning. We met Martha about 9 years ago when James was in the hospital and her daughter, Kate, was in also. Kate has spina bifida and has had many shunt surgeries. James and Kate hit it off right away and we have been friends ever since.

In the morning, we met Greg Cook and his business associate, Bruce, as well as Bruce's lovely wife. They all flew with us in their corporate jet to New York.







We landed at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey and there was a limo car waiting to take us to our appointment. During that ride, I decided that I would definitely not bring or rent a car when coming to NY next. I don't mind Chicago driving at all - it is pretty crazy - but NY driving was MUCH worse. Even the sidewalks seemed much busier than Chicago. But, we arrived at our appointment safe and sound.

Dr. Wisoff is an amazing man. I had been warned that he was not very "personable," but this is so far from the truth. I have never met a more polite and considerate doctor.



He took us in his office and showed us the scans. We talked about how much and which parts of the tumor he feels he can get out. He explained to James exactly what would happen and he answered all our questions.

We have always tried to be honest with James about what is going on and what will be happening, as least as much as we feel a 10 year old could understand. So, James had a very serious question for Dr. Wisoff. He asked, "What about coming out of the surgery?" James was concerned about dying. Dr. Wisoff explained to James that the chances of him dying in surgery were about 1%. Yet, the chances of getting run over by a car while crossing a street in NY was much higher. We certainly understood that comparison.

When we had finished and the surgery date was set (which is June 10th), Dr. Wisoff sent us to see his secretary who will make all the arrangements for us. It amazes me that such a busy man with such a busy office still takes the time to make sure that everything is taken care of for you. They will not only schedule all James' testing appointments that he will need before surgery, but will do everything they can to line up accommodations for us while in NY.

When we left, we still had an hour before the car would pick us up, so we went to lunch at a diner around the corner. While there, I asked James about his question and concern about dying. He said, "Mom, I not afraid of dying because of me - I'm going to heaven. I'm afraid of dying because of you - what are you going to do if I die?" I said, "I'll cry."

Just as scheduled, the limo car met us at the clinic and took us safely back to Teterboro Airport. There, Mr. Cook had the plane ready for us to load and take off. The weather was kind of rough coming into South Bend with high winds. I think that was really the only scary part, for me, of riding in a small corporate jet.

I cannot thank enough, Martha Onkka, Bonnie LeVar (Corporate Angel Network), Greg Cook, Bruce and his wife, and the drivers of the limo service for taking good care of us.

We will return to New York on June 3rd. James starts testing and appointments on the 4th and surgery is scheduled for June 10th. Johannah will go with us on the 3rd and, hopefully, Dave and the other boys will be able to come the day before surgery. This is certainly the hardest and riskiest thing we have asked James to do - and he is facing it with great courage. It is my prayer that all our family and anyone else able and willing will be able to spend time with James on the night before he goes in.

Thank you so much for all your prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leiann, I was so glad to read your updates as I have been thinking about your family a lot these days. It all sounds pretty positive. Congrats to Jon on his graduation. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

LuAnne said...

Praying for you all.

Miriam said...

God bless your family and the strong boy you have.
my prayer are for all of you,
Miriam

Anonymous said...

Dearest Leiann and family,

Wow! You have done an exceptional job on James’s web-site! I am so blessed and impressed by it. I love all of the pictures. You have such a beautiful family. I check in on James’s progress often and continue to pray for you all. God is giving you the wisdom, strength, and victory in every area concerning James. I know that He is! God is good and He is faithful to you because you believe in Him! When you have success, it is a success for us all, who are in this battle. Please now that I love your family and my prayers will continue for you all. You are an awesome person and mother!

Much love,
Tammy Olsen and family - Arizona
babybriannah.org