Friday, June 13, 2008

Slow progress

James is still sleeping a lot, but seems a little less confused today. I talked to Dr. Wisoff yesterday and he explained that each week James will improve, but within that week we will have ups and downs. He warned us not to try to compare it day to day, but to use 3-4 day blocks to compare. James' answers today are still not always accurate, but they are not quite as "outrageous" as they were before. I knew that he was doing somewhat better when I asked him what his favorite drink was. He said, "MD." That's my boy!!!!! Unfortunately, when the endocrinologist came to see him the first day, she took one look at his Mountain Dew and said, "Get rid of the sugared soda." She worries that he will put on too much weight with the steroids. So, we have tried to do better. Dr. Wisoff says that, barring any unexpected complications, James will be discharged Monday. We thank you again for all your prayers. We do not take that lightly. Over the last ten years, we have watched James defy many odds and we know that it is nothing short of answered prayer.

TRULY, GOD IS GOOD!!

I met Mindy Blumenfeld on the Pediatric Brain Tumor forum. Her son has been treated for an ependymoma. She lives near New York and has been here to visit us twice now. Through a foundation that they started in their son's name, she has helped us financially. Today, she has offered to come sit with James for a few hours so I can take a break. Because of his confusion, he really cannot be left for too long. THANK YOU, MINDY! You have helped more than you can know.

I heard there's a McDonalds a few blocks away - I think I'll walk there when she comes.

No comments: